I work with a broad range of behavioral, emotional, cognitive, learning, and medical disorders affecting individuals, couples, and families.
In addition to clinical training, I have advanced training in pastoral counseling, financial education, employee assistance and crisis management. I have completed Level 3 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy and use Gottman Method Couples Therapy in my work. I also am approved to facilitate the Prepare/Enrich assessment to help empower premarital and married couples. I also work with clergy, pastors and church leaders.
I have been trained directly by Patrick Carnes and am a Certified Sex Addiction Therapist (CSAT) with the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals. I am also an Employee Assistance Specialist - Clinical (EAS-C) through the Employee Assistance Professional Association and trained in Employee Assistance Program Critical Incident Response 3 (Resiliency) Approach by Robert Douglas. I am a consultant for R3 Continum and am trained in Advanced Individual Crisis Intervention and Peer Support. I work directly with first responders as a volunteer mental health peer for the Northern Illinois Critical Incident Stress Management Team. I use clinical supervision which expands clinical expertise, judgment and quality of care.
Over time, I have found individuals who are most able to benefit from our work together:
- Offer and receive direct and honest feedback
- Try new behaviors which may be uncomfortable
- Understand no person (including a counselor) can "fix" another person
- Appreciate a sense of humor
- Are able to demonstrate honesty, authenticity and vulnerability
As with any relationship, therapy works best when there is trust, mutual respect, and a sense of connection. If you think we may be a good fit to work with one another, call me at 224-639-2607 or email me at Patrick@PatrickAmesCounseling.com to set up a 15-minute complimentary phone consultation. This phone call is used to assess the goodness of fit of a therapeutic match, not for treatment or diagnosis. If we find that we are not a good fit at the end of this phone call, I will give you referrals of therapists that might be a better match for you.
- adult/long-term care
- career counseling
- coping skills
- domestic abuse
- end-of-life decision making and care
- family conflict
- life coaching
- men's issues
- mood disorders
- perinatal death
- pornography addiction
- physical, sexual, emotional abuse
- Potentially Disruptive Event (PDE) response/assessment for corporate Employee Assistance Programs and first responders (e.g. law enforcement, firefighters, dispatchers and EMT/paramedics)
- premarital counseling and education
- secrets that are hurting your life and relationships
- self-esteem issues
- sex addiction
- spiritual care
- stress management
- suicidal ideation
- transition from hospital to home, or extended care center
- trauma and PTSD
- workplace dynamics